Sunday, March 7, 2010

I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

It's March, so you know what's coming...MADNESS!  In thinking about what lies ahead for this year's tourney, I couldn't help but think about last year's college bball season.  While reminiscing, one person stuck out in my mind...Stephen Curry

Last year was baby faced Curry's year.  He led the nation in scoring with 26.8 points per game and broke damn near every record at Davidson College.  Even though the guard attended a mid-major, he had the attention of the whole country.  Remember when Loyola College double and triple-teamed him the whole game causing him to go scoreless for the first time in his career? Yeah, he was that big of a deal.  

Currently listed as 6'3 and 185 lbs. (he's bulked up since college), many critics (including me-- yes, I'm a self-anointed critic) didn't think the 21 year old had what it took to hang with the big boys in the League.  Don't get me wrong, I'd watched him play.  I knew that he could shoot and score.  After all, former NBA player and sharp-shooter, Dell Curry, is his father.  However, despite all of that, I still wasn't a believer.  From my small-minded perspective, there was no way that someone of Steph's small stature could compete with the big bodied players that dominate the league.  Yes, names like Isiah Thomas and Steve Nash ring a bell, but I still wasn't convinced that Steph's game could translate to success in the NBA.

Before Steph was selected seventh in last year's draft by the Golden State Warriors, I remember hearing chatter about the Knicks being interested in Curry.  I was adamantly against "us" selecting him.  I enjoyed watching him play, but I just didn't believe the hype.  

OK, fast forward to the second half of Curry's rookie season.   I WAS WRONG!   I am now a believer!  This boy can ball!  He'll drive to the basket, get popped, hit the shot, draw the foul, and bounce back up a la Allen Iverson. The no look passes, the long J's, and his quick hands make his game so thorough and fun to watch.  What excites me the most is that he's only a rookie.  He's going to continue to get better as he gains experience and gets stronger.  

Sad times for us now though because the Warriors have the third worst record in the NBA.  You know what that means...no national shine.  This is too bad because I think NBA fans would enjoy seeing more of Stephen's game.  Until then, we'll have to settle for this.


No comments:

Post a Comment