Tuesday, May 18, 2010

NY Yankees: The Sweet Taste of Victory!


When the Yankees and the Red Sox play each other, you're always in for a treat.  It's probably the most hyped matchup in all of American sports, but it always lives up to the hype and is filled with lots o' drama!  Marathon games with multiple lead changes, back to back homeruns, players getting hit by a pitch, while their teammates try to restrain themselves from clearing the dugout and starting a brawl.  I love it!!

Last night was no different.  At one point, the Yankees had a commanding 6-1 lead over the Red Sox. Now, I've convinced myself that Red Sox aren't a threat to us like they've been in the past.  I don't get nervous when I watch these games anymore because I really truly believe that the Yankees are the superior team and will continue to dominate the Red Sox.  Until the Red Sox start playing some real baseball, I'll continue to think this way.

At about 9PM/ET last night, the Yankees were up 6-2.  The TV cutoff the game and switched to Gossip Girl because I DVR Gossip Girl and 24 at that hour. You know, if you DVR two shows at once, your TV has to be tuned into one of the channels that's being recorded.  Ugh!  So annoying. Anyway,  I was actually more upset that I couldn't watch the start of the Suns v. Lakers than missing part of the Yankees game because I'm that confident.  However, confidence doesn't = neglect.  I was still checking the score of the game...not because I was nervous the Yankees would blow their lead, but because I care. Surprise!  Surprise!  When I checked in, the score was now 7-6 Yankees.  WTH!!!  The Red Sox were making a comeback?!?!  Oh hell no!!!! Now, I'm anxious to get back to the game and am wishing what seemed like the longest episode in Gossip Girl history would hurry up and end.  It finally did.  Thank goodness!  I turn back to the game and Boston is now leading the Yankees 9-7 in the top of the 8th.  I can't believe this ish.  I'm so thankful I didn't see Chan Ho Park get tagged up for back-to-back HRs.  I would've lost it.  ATTENTION:  Cool, confident S. Renee has left the building!

At the bottom of the 8th, the Yankees had a chance to tie the game, but we left a man on base.  Sigh... After Sunday's blown save by Mariano Rivera, I knew we had to win this game because we needed to get our momentum back.  A blown save followed by a blown lead is not good.

At the end of the 8th, I briefly turned away from the game to see what was happening with the Lakers/Suns and got caught up.  Next thing, I get a call from my Dad asking me if I'm watching the game.  I assume he means Lakers/Suns and I say yes.  Then I realized he was excited and he wouldn't be excited about the Lakers/Suns, so I say oh, you mean the Yankees/Red Sox?  He said, YES!!  I asked him what happened. He says, "An A-bomb from AROD!!!" He tied up the game in the bottom of the 9th.  I started cheering and beating myself up at the same time because I couldn't believe I missed that moment!  Well, I redeemed myself and immediately turned back to the game.  Next up, Francisco Cervelli.  I love this kid. I feel good having him as the our future catcher once Jorge Posada retires.  What happens? Papelbon hits him...hard.  Man on first.  Next up is Marcus Thames.  The result?  He blasts  Jonathon Papelbon's fastball out of the park! You know what's next.  Pie in the face!  The first of the season.  Such a beautiful thing to win our first game in walk-off homerun fashion against the Red Sox.  Take that, Red Sux Sox Nation!

No comments:

Post a Comment