Monday, March 15, 2010

TJ Out. LT In.


Did we really just release Thomas Jones and pickup LaDainian Tomlinson?  That didn't really happen did it?  If you read my entry about the Cromartie pickup, then you know that I struggled with how I felt about letting Jones go.  Well, it's no longer a struggle.  It's official, I don't like it. 

Let me tell you why....

1.  Age most definitely couldn't have been a factor.  Thomas Jones will turn 32 this year, while LT will turn 31.  Despite the 10 month age difference, they're both considered liabilities by NFL standards.  On paper, Jones should be a bigger threat because he's older, but if you look at their numbers, Tomlinson is the bigger risk. 

2.  It can't be about money.  According to ESPN.com, LT's 2-year deal is worth $5.1 million with an escalator that could boost his salary to $5.6 million.  Kansas City and Thomas Jones agreed to $5 million, which is $800k less than what Jones was owed from the Jets.  He was due a $3 million roster bonus on top of his $2.8 million base salary.  It's a $200K difference.  It's been reported that the Jets asked Jones to take a pay cut.   He declined, which I don't blame him for doing.  He put up the best numbers of his career (1402 yards, 14 TDs, 331 carries, 4.2 yards per carry) and they expect him to accept less money.  What part of the game is that?!?!

Meanwhile, LT had the worst season of his career...730 yards, 12 TDs, 223 carries, and 3.3 yards per carry.  You do the math...

So, since those aren't the reasons why they signed LT, maybe these are:

1.  Perhaps there was some behind-the-scenes drama between Jones and the team.  I can't imagine the Jets and Jones not being able to reach an agreement that would've satisfied both parties.  Or, maybe the fact that the Jets even thought about cutting Jones' salary made him feel some type of way.  Possibly Jones wasn't trying to hear anything besides what was due to him.  If that was the case, I respect that, especially after he was paid $900K in 2009, coming off of a 1300 yard season.

2.  Maybe they feel that LT's style of play is a better fit for Brian Schottenheimer's offense.  Jones and LT do have different strengths.  LT is known as a great pass catcher out of the backfield, while Jones is a workhorse that hits the hole.  If the Jets do intend on giving Shonn Greene the majority of the carries, it might not be such a bad look, after all.  If they limit LT's touches and let the young boy do most of the dirty work, they'll be able to preserve LT in a hope to get the best out of him.  Pause.  Where does Leon Washington fit into all of this?  Assuming he's rehabbing according to schedule, where will he fall on the depth chart?

3.  Back to Schottenheimer.  The Jets could also be hoping that LT's familiarity with Schottenheimer's offense will allow him to adjust to the offense pretty easily.  After all, Schottenheimer was the Charger's QB coach for four years during the height of LT's career.  

4.  LT will be hungry.  He's been destroyed by the media, due to a consistent decline in his numbers since 2006, when he captured the rushing title and was named MVP.  Everyone gave him the benefit of the doubt heading into the 2009 season, and he was a disappointment.  Instead, he got injured during Week 2.  Come September, LT should be ready to show-n-prove. 

Now that I've weighed the pros and cons, I don't hate it as much, but I'm still not a fan.  When thinking about us being Super Bowl contenders, I just don't feel that we've upgraded our offense by cutting Jones and signing LT.  Not to mention that we need a wide receiver!  

I'm a New York sports fan.  I'm demanding and spoiled.  I expect greatness.  If we made it to the AFC Championship game in 2010, we better be going all the way in 2011.  Anything else is unacceptable.

LT is a class act and a Hall of Famer.  He's had a hell of a career, but I can't help but think that his best days are behind him.  It happens to all of the greats.  Hopefully, he'll prove me wrong.  I beg that he proves me wrong!  As you've seen with Stephen Curry,  when I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting it.  Cheers to me being wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment